A classic dessert…
Loved by most…
I feel that cheesecake is one of those classic desserts that is almost always a crowd pleaser. This makes it the perfect dessert for gatherings – barbecues, birthdays, family dinners, you name it. Cheesecake is also very versatile when it comes to flavors as well as toppings; for instance, you can go with chocolate for a richer and decadent cake, or you can add spiciness for a more fall-inspired cake… so many options, all delicious. Despite all the different flavor options, my favourite is still a classic vanilla cheesecake with a fresh fruit topping.
Summer is the season for berries, and theres nothing better than sweet, vibrant, and fresh berries. Since some fruit may be slightly tart, I find that adding a sugar glaze not only helps keep the fruit fresh, but also helps bring out the flavors and sweetness of the fruit.
Summer Berry Cheesecake
- your favorite 9″ vanilla cheesecake
- 1 C fresh strawberries (1/2 C sliced in half)
- 1/2 C fresh blueberries
- 1/2 C fresh raspberries
- 1/2 tsp unflavored gelatin
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp cold water
- Arrange fruit as you like overtop top of the cheesecake – I try to evenly space the different types of fruit, using more of the strawberries as a base under the other berries, as they are the biggest.
- Sugar glaze: place cold water and gelatine together in a small bowl, allow the gelatine to bloom for about 5 minutes. Microwave for 15 second intervals until completely dissolved. Stir in sugar and allow glaze to cool to room temperature.
- Using a pastry brush, very gently and liberally brush sugar glaze over both the fruit and cake. Ensure all of the fruit is well coated, as this sugar glaze will not only create a nice shine, but will also help hold all the fruit in place.
- Refrigerate until the glaze is completely set. Enjoy!