Whole wheat + blueberries + bananas + oats
All mixed up and baked together into a delicious muffin.
Today was probably one of the most productive days I’ve had in months – did some laundry, cleaning, got groceries, went for a jog (baby steps, trying to get back into it!), and even did some baking. So nice to have a day to yourself once in a while to do whatever.
I was in the baking mood and whipped up probably some of the tastiest, not to mention healthiest, blueberry muffins. They’re studded with sweet blueberries, filled with a load of fibre, and are naturally sweetened with banana.
Blueberry Banana Oat Muffins
- 1 C WW flour
- 1/2 C AP flour
- 1/2 C sweetener of your choice or sugar
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1/4 C oat bran
- 1/4 C quick cooking oats
- 1/4 C flaxseed, ground
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 C blueberries (I used frozen)
- 1 banana, mashed up
- 1 C milk + 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a liquid measure, mix together milk and vinegar. Set aside and allow it to sit for 5 minutes
- In a large bowl, mix together all dry ingredients – flours, sugars, oat bran, oats, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Once mixed, stir in blueberries and make a well.
- In a large bowl, mash up a ripe banana using a fork, then transfer into the liquid measure with the milk. Measure out all other wet ingredients into the liquid measure – egg, oil, vanilla and mix together.
- Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the well of the dry ingredients. Mix the batter together with a fork until no flour remains and everything is just combined – do not overmix !
- Spoon into a lined muffin tin, filling 3/4 or all the way up.
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Immediately transfer to a wire rack to cool.
The muffins taste the best the day they’re made – even better fresh out of the oven. Got some leftover muffins? Pop them in a freezer bag and store them in the freezer up to a few months till you’re ready to eat.
Warm muffins + hot tea = best combination ever
By the way, head on over to Angie’s Fiesta Friday anniversary party because it’s still happening right now! Cannot believe a year has passed since she first started hosting these fun friday get-togethers. Congratulations, Angie – the parties have been awesome, looking forward to more to come =)