Have you ever tried chicken katsu?
It’s basically Japanese-style fried chicken.
Comfort food at its finest.
I’ve always been a fan of Japanese-style cuisine. From what I’ve read, this rice bowl dish is a Japanese comfort food. It’s quick, fairly easy, and very tasty – guess it could be considered stick to your bones good for you too? I rarely make fried dishes, but when I do, I try to make sure its a dish my whole family will like (because I probably couldn’t finish it all if they didn’t like the dish!) As for the Japanese-style fried chicken – amazing. I swear that it was those panko bread crumbs, they completely coated the chicken and made the best crunchy shell that helped lock in the juicy chicken goodness.
Plus with that sunny side egg on top? Seriously, how could you not want to eat it?
Drooling yet? I’m thinking you’ll probably want to make this dish by the end of this post =)
One thing that surprised me was how quick this dish could be made. I literally took out some frozen-solid chicken thighs and just over an hour later, I had a fried chicken rice bowl at my finger tips. I think this is one of the dishes that C and I will be making more often. I keep telling him that we need to cook together more and try to avoid eating out at restaurants so often… yenno… after you get off work, you’re all tired and just want food in front of your face like now? Yah, that sounds like us every weekend… guess we’ll try our best!
Headed off the the friday Fiesta – I hope everyone likes fried chicken!
Chicken Katsu Don
- 5 chicken thighs, thawed and rinsed
- garlic pepper seasoning
- 1/2 C WW flour
- 1 1/4 C panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg + 1/4 C milk
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 5 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 5 eggs (sunny-side up over top of the chicken)
- Vegetable oil
- Cooked rice
- Green onions for garnish
- In a wide non-stick skillet, fry sliced onions and mushrooms until golden brown and caramelized. Transfer to a bowl.
- Measure out flour, bread crumbs, and egg + milk into 3 separate bowls to allow for easy coating
- Add about 1 inch of oil and turn heat to medium – allow oil to heat up (you’ll probably need to add more oil for the next batch)
- Chicken: lightly season chicken thighs with desired seasoning. Coat chicken in flour, then dip into egg mixture, and lastly cover with a thick layer of bread crumbs (push crumbs into chicken to create a nice thick crunchy layer)
- Add chicken to heated oil, presentation-side down. You can cook two pieces at a time, about 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Carefully flip the chicken over using tongs (cooking time will depend on how thick your chicken is)
- Transfer onto a plate lined with paper towels to soak up excess oil. Once cool enough to touch, carefully cut chicken into slices
- Assembly: place cooked rice into a bowl and top with caramelized onions/ mushrooms. Carefully top with chicken and a fried sunny-side up egg. Annd, if you want to be real fancy, add some sliced green onions for garnish.