Life is Sweet.
Filled with sugar and all things chocolate.
This was the first time I baked with lavender and truth be-told, I’m not a huge huge fan of floral flavors. My bestfriend actually bugged me for a while to make her something with lavender, so that was the inspiration for this post. I came across this recipe a while ago on Sweetopolita’s beautiful blog and bookmarked it for a future baking project. The time had came – I finally went to a specialty food store and found some culinary lavender.
Lemon Lavender Shortbread Cookies
- 1 C unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp dried culinary lavender
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest (rind)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1-1/2 C AP flour
- 1/2 C cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth and creamy (1-2 mins)
- Slowly add the icing sugar and beat for another couple mins. Beat in the vanilla.
- Stir in the dried lavender, lemon zest, and lemon juice. (The original recipe doesn’t call for juice, but I found that the cookies didn’t have enough lemon flavor, so I’d probably suggest to add a little if you like lemon)
- Stir in dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. Flatten the dough into a disk and saran wrap.
- Chill for at least one hour in the refrigerator
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in the middle of the oven. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment or baking mats.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough 1/4″ thick. Cut desired shapes, place on pans and chill in for about 15 mins before baking.
- Bake until very light golden brown, 10-12 minutes. Carefully transfer cookies to wire racks to completely cool.
The cookies had a hint of lemon and even slighter hint of lavender flavor. I didn’t mind them, but I think my friend probably liked them more than I did (she’s currently/ has been for a while obsessed with all things lavender). I love the scent of lavender but am still a bit weary about floral-tasting foods.. it’s just not a common ‘flavor’. With that being said, I’ve tried a lavender latte, which was absolutely amazing. Hmm.. I don’t know, on the fence with this one. If you have any lavender-inspired recipe suggestions that I could try, I’d love to hear them!
I do have to say that I love the delicate soft texture of these cookies – reminds me of something that would be served at a high-tea event!
Headed to Angie’s Fiesta Friday event – fashionable late as usual ( lol sorry Angie!). Check out the whole party here!