I recently got a new toy for my kitchen aid – the pasta attachment!
This was my first attachment piece and its so neat – attaches right at the front. It came with a pasta roller, fettuccine, and spaghetti cutter. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t secretly want this… for a while. Well, C somehow knew and surprised me with it for an early b-day gift. I love it!
Two days after he gave it to me, we decided to test it out and made some whole wheat lasagna noodles. We went with the recipe that came in the instruction manual. I didn’t think it would make so much pasta, but it did so we made some fettuccine noodles as well.
This recipe made enough pasta for 2 lasagna dishes (1 large + 1 small) and about 3 bowls of fettuccine noodles.
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 1/2 C WW flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Place eggs, water, WW flour, and salt in mixer bowl. Attach bowl and flat beater and turn to speed 2 and mix 30 secs.
- Exchange flat beater for dough hook. Turn to Speed 2 and knead 2 minutes.
- Remove dough from bowl and hand knead for 2 minutes. Divide dough into eight pieces before processing with Pasta Sheet Roller attachment.
- Work with 2 pieces of dough at a time and saran wrap the rest in the mixing bowl to prevent it from drying out.
- Knead until soft and pliable, flatten into a disk and slowly feed through roller attachment. After each pass, decrease the thickness until desired (we stopped at #5)
- Cut noodles if too long, then allow to sit on a lined baking sheet until ready to use.
This is my go-to lasagna recipe, which I usually tweak, depending on what I have at home.
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-4 lb ground meat (turkey, beef, pork, or a mix)
- garlic pepper seasoning
- 1 can diced tomatoes (28 oz) with juice
- 2 cans tomato paste (6 oz)
- 1 can pasta sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 4 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 kg cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 bricks mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 C Parmesan and Romano cheese blend
- Meat mixture: In a Dutch oven, cook: onion, garlic, and ground meat over med heat. Season with garlic pepper and cook until well browned. Turn heat off and drain excess fat/ water.
- Stir in tomatoes + juice, tomato paste, and pasta sauce. Season with sugar, basil, Italian seasoning, garlic, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Simmer, covered, for about 1 hr, stirring occasionally.
- Cheese mixture: In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese with egg, and remaining parsley.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Assembly: spread a few tbsp meat sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish to prevent noodles from sticking. Arrange as many noodles lengthwise over meat sauce to form one layer (approx 3). Spread with a layer of meat sauce, then cottage cheese mixture and lastly, top with a layer of mozzarella. Repeat layers once more, starting with pasta.
- Once complete, top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan/ Romano cheese.
- Bake in for 45 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Lasagna turned out great and the homemade pasta was delicious! We made fettuccine with about 5 extra sheets of pasta dough and mixed it with the tomato sauce – it was a delicious appetizer.
Had so much fun using this new gadget, cannot wait to try different ravioli recipes! Thinking… mushroom, butternut squash, turkey… mmmmm