What to do with a bunch of ripe bananas…
Obvious choices: cut and freeze, make smoothies, or bake something…
Peanut Butter (Banana) Chocolate Breakfast Bars.
The original recipe was actually for cookies, but I figured that bars would be easier to pack up for work.
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 C creamy peanut butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (solid form)
- 2 tsp agave nectar (omitted this because bananas were very ripe)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 C Puffed red wheat
- 1 1/4 C old fashioned oats (was out of old fashioned oats, so used quick oats)
- 1/3 C chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, mash bananas. Add peanut butter, coconut oil, agave nectar, and vanilla – mix well.
- Add baking powder, cinnamon, puffed wheat, and oats to wet mixture. Mix until everything is combined and there are no dry spots.
- Add in chocolate chips.
- Pour into a 5 x 7 pan lined with parchment paper (8 x 8 would work too).
- Bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 25 minutes or until golden.
Not sure if they should be referred to as bars because they have a very cake-like texture. Imagine for a second: if a peanut butter granola bar and a banana chocolate cake got married, these bars would be born.