Nothing beats a good turkey sandwich.
Stuffed with veggies and cheese.
We took a quick trip down to the states a little while back and picked up some turkey, cheese, and other goodies. We ended up making sandwiches for dinner with freshly made whole wheat buns. Here’s the original recipe for sandwich buns – scaled it down and made 15 buns.
- 2 C warm water
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1 tbsp Canola Oil
- Pinch of salt
- 4 C Whole Wheat Flour, more if needed
- 1 tbsp Instant Yeast
- In a large bowl, add warm water, molasses, oil, and salt. Stir until blended.
- Stir flour and yeast into the bowl and knead for about 15 minutes. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour.
- Roll dough into a ball and coat dough with oil. Place in a large bowl and let rise for 1 hour in a warm place.
- Turn out on counter and measure it into 15 equal portions and place on a lined cookie sheet. Slightly flatten each dough ball and allow them to rise for another 30 minutes.
- Bake for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees F, turning the tray half way through.
These buns are great for any sandwich. We stuffed ours with: honey mustard, cucumbers, turkey, swiss/ provolone cheese, and spinach. Enjoy!