Remember how I’ve been slightly obsessed with matcha?
The latest and greatest – ice cream.
Always been a fan of green tea sweets – cream puffs, lattes, cakes, cookies, and ice cream (obviously).
- 1 can of light coconut milk (14 oz)
- 2 1/3C milk
- 3 egg egg yolks
- 2/3 C sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp matcha powder
- Dissolve matcha powder in enough hot water to form a paste (approx 2 tbsp)
- Add coconut milk, milk, sugar, and matcha paste to a pot. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat.
- Beat yolks in a medium bowl. Whisk 1 cup of the hot cream into the egg yolks. Gradually add egg mixture in a slow, steady stream, to the hot cream.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon (approx. 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean container.
- Cool before refrigerating. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator.
- Freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
This was the first time I’ve used coconut milk to make ice cream. Its quite good actually, plus the coconut flavor wasn’t too strong and overpowering.
One other thing I did notice about the ice cream was that there was a very subtle almost chalky texture? Not sure if that’s from the coconut or the powder… I suspect it might be from the powder but I don’t know why that would be because I dissolved it all.