Chocolate Quinoa Brownies… need I say more?
The secret to the soft gooey texture? Dried dates.
Have you ever baked with dates before? First time for me. I’ve heard of them being used in recipes to reduce sugar and fat content, but never thought to try. Dried dates… very impressed.
I made a small batch just to try. Here’s the original recipe.
- 1 C pitted dates
- 1/2 C water
- 1 C quinoa, cooked
- 1/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Blend dates with water until smooth. Add quinoa and blend
- Add rest of ingredients and blend till smooth. Batter will be very sticky.
- Scrape into a 6×6 pan and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees F.
I used my magic bullet to blend everything together and swear it was going to overheat – the batter was so sticky and solid, that I kept having to add water in order for it to blend properly.
New favorite ‘healthy’ brownie recipe. Win.
C didn’t mind them either, he said they reminded him of the Asian pineapple bun… Never tried that before so I have no idea. My dad on the other hand, didn’t seem to be a fan of these brownies…