Quinoa… love this stuff.
Quinoa sushi? Mind blowing.
So good… seriously delicious. Why didn’t I think of this like a year ago?
When I came across the idea of quinoa sushi on this lady’s amazing site, I was blown away. My initial thoughts were honestly “what the !@?#… why didn’t I think of this sooner?!” Made this dish the day after I saw it on the internet… was that excited.
- 1 C uncooked quinoa
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 1 sweet potato, sliced and pan-fried
- half a cucumber, sliced
- smoked salmon, optional
- 1 tsp seasoned soybean paste (or more to taste)
- 2 tbsp japanese mayonnaise
- 6 sheets of seaweed
- Cook quinoa w/ 2 cups of water and allow it to fully cool. Toss with rice vinegar and sugar.
- Either bake or pan-fry sweet potato pieces until tender.
- Assemble: scoop and pat a layer of quinoa onto seaweed, layer with vegetables, spicy mayo, and salmon. Roll. Carefully cut, may fall apart
I’m not a big fan of spice, but the spicy mayo adds just the right amount of kick. Any hot sauce would probably work, but I just happened to have a large container of soybean paste just kicking around. Experiment with the ingredients – I added fried tofu the second time I made this because I was too lazy to trek out in the rain to buy a cucumber.
Since quinoa is not sticky at all compared to sushi rice, you do have to be super careful when rolling and cutting. Make sure you use a really sharp knife to minimize any filling spillage.
Not much else I can say about this dish… just thanks to whoever came up with this first… genius. C even said he liked it more than regular sushi – shocker cause sushi is def in his top fave foods.
Seriously, you need to try this. It’ll change your life lol Okay, well… it might.