Four of my favorite ingredients mixed together in this one tasty dish.
Turkey, feta cheese, spinach and tomato sauce.
Heres the original recipe for the meatballs and sauce. Like most recipes, I usually never have all the ingredients on hand, so I end up making substitutions.
- 1 small onion, finely diced (set 1/4 aside)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (set one aside)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup dried italian bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground dark turkey meat
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup spinach, wilted with water squeezed out
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- Dash of oregano
- 1 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 can pasta sauce
- Fresh basil, chopped
- Dried oregano
- Salt / pepper
- Add 3/4 of the onion, garlic, egg, bread crumbs, ketchup, parsley, feta, spinach, spices and seasonings to a large bowl and blend. Mix in the turkey. Shape the turkey mixture into meatballs using a mini spring-loaded scooper or tablespoon. Place on a plate or baking sheet.
- Heat the oil in a heavy large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1/4 onion and clove of garlic. Add the meatballs and saute until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Drain any excess oil.
- Add diced tomatoes and pasta sauce. If too runny, add a can of tomato paste. Turn the heat to medium-low and simmer, about 15 to 20 minutes. Season with spices to taste. Add more chopped parsley if desired, and serve over hot pasta.