Lemon and poppyseed.
The perfect match.
These were ‘thank you’ favors that I made for a couple of amazing individuals that taught me during my clinical rotation.
Tweaked this recipe from the original, which you can find here.
- 2/3 C unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon poppyseeds
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or try juice of one lemon)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add egg and beat to combine.
- Sift flour and baking powder over butter mixture. Add poppyseeds, lemon rind and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- Shape stiff dough into two logs. Roll in granulated sugar and saran both logs. Freeze dough till firm (approx. 1 hour)
- Cut frozen dough into 1/4 inch slices.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden. Cool on trays for 5 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
The original recipe suggested to drop the dough by spoonful’s onto the baking sheet, but I thought they looked a little messy. Second time around, I tried the freezer method. Much better – cookies were even, uniformly flat and looked much neater.