My first turkey experience…
with Dad’s help of course!
Our turkey was massive – Dad estimated that it was over 20 pounds!
Dad and I prepared this bird for our family’s Easter dinner. He did all the heavy lifting, while I rinsed, seasoned, and stuffed =]
- 1 giant turkey
- Garlic pepper seasoning
- Butter spray
- Stuffing (enough to fill the cavity)
- Salt turkey (inside and out) then rinse well.
- Season both inside and outside with garlic pepper seasoning – rub it in to evenly distribute
- Stuff the turkey with your stuffing of choice. We went with Apple Cranberry Stuffing – click here for the recipe.
- Add potatoes around the turkey if you’d like – Our bird was a leaner, so we propped it up with potatoes.
- Bake at 375 degrees F, covered with aluminum for 4- 6 hrs depending on the size of the turkey. We checked the temp at 4 1/4 hrs and the temp ~ 170 degrees F.
- Once the temperature reaches 170 degrees F, taken at the thickest part of the turkey, remove aluminum and bake (convection) uncovered for 30 minutes to brown the skin.
Apple Cranberry Stuffing – So good, my favorite.
The greens – roasted brussel sprouts and asparagus.
And the orange – roasted yams.
Making a turkey once every year is good enough for me.