Sounds kind of healthy huh?
I guess it kind of is.
We had some very ripe avocados and I was in the mood for brownies. I’ve come across some recipes in the past that used avocado as a butter substitute and I always wondered what it would taste like.
- 2 very ripe avocados, sliced with pit removed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp freshly brewed coffee, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and lightly flour baking pan. (Used non-stick medium loaf pan)
- Blend/ mash ripe avocados till smooth. Add sugar and using a spatula, mix to incorporate
- Add eggs, vanilla extract, and coffee. Gently mix, don’t whisk.
- In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients: cocoa powder, whole wheat flour, salt and baking powder.
- Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Gently stir until just combined then transfer into loaf pan. Spread batter evenly toward the edges of pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove pan and allow to cool completely.
Not bad for avocado but definitely not as rich and indulgent. It’s best to enjoy these fresh out of the oven, as they started to dry up later in the week.
One last thing, be sure to blend or mash the avocados well. I guess I didn’t mash mine so well and my brownies were left with little green chunks. It didn’t affect the taste but I think it threw my brother off… He just kind of stared at it with disgust and refused to try one.