- 4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2/3 cup white sugar … plus more to taste
- 2 1/2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 bell peppers, seeded and chopped (I usually use a red & orange combo)
1) Bring pot of water to full boil and add uncooked macaroni. Cook till for approx 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water.
2) Combine mayo, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Mix well.
3) Add chopped onion and peppers into dressing. Mix in macaroni and chill for at least 6 hours or overnight. (I find that it tastes better after sitting in the fridge overnight)
The dressing for this mac salad goes very nicely, similar to a honey mustard. Another thing I really like about this recipe is that the salad doesn’t taste super heavy and rich. Have you ever tried some of those prepackaged mac salads that you can find in the deli section of the supermarket and it just tastes like mayo/ you can see blobs of extra mayo? Not a fan of the heavy mayo taste. Must be the vinegar that counteracts the heavy richness of mayo or something.
So have I sold you on this potluck-worthy recipe yet? Easy to prepare, most people like it, and definitely worth a shot… The only slight downside would be the lingering onion breath… but other than that, its great!